Monday, April 8, 2013

Week 1

Date: April 07, 2013
Time of Day: 12pm- 1pm
Weather: Cloudy, Rainy
Temperature: 45 degrees Fahrenheit

My observation site for this quarter is Lincoln Park, located in West Seattle, near my parents home. This park is amazing! I grew up going to this park on weekends with my family and friends. I enjoy the wooded areas of the park as well as the beach area, where it is surrounded by the Puget Sound.

Although today was a rainy and a tad bit chilly, there was a lot of life in the park, it sounded and looked like spring was in the air. As I was walking through the park to find the exact location I wanted to observe throughout the quarter, I heard a lot of birds chirping in the trees above me. I was not lucky enough to see any today but hopefully in the future I will be able to. As I kept walking throughout the park I decided to venture out and leave the trail, as I find my observation sight. I have never really looked closely to all the different kinds of trees and species that were in Lincoln Park, even though I love walking through the wooded areas and the beach side. I hope throughout the quarter, I will be able to see more and more species as well as become a better observer to the natural world around me.

In my area I was able to find about 6 trees. They were curved upwards from their roots, had strips of bark that were a cinnamon red color. These trees were Western Red Cedars, which were about 1-2m in diameter. When I looked around my feet there was a lot of understory, or ground cover. Most that are starting to bloom. There was a lot going on so it was hard to choose what species to look at. I found a couple ferns that were already bloomed or are starting to (I was not able to ID but possibly in the future I'll be able to). I saw a lot of moss cover on trees that have fallen, as well as branches. I found a little plant starting to bloom but was not able to ID it as well, but on the plant I found a small spider that caught my eye.  I walked more into the wooded forest and stumbled upon a Douglas Fir, which sat next to another western red cedar and in the distance a Western Hemlock. The douglas fir was high, and I was unable to see how high without having rain drops blur my vision. The western hemlock was growing on top of a stump from an old tree, it was pretty small in diameter. I also found a Big Leaf maple tree in my area. On the ground cover I found some holly that was starting to bloom as well as some blackberry, which I was not sure that they were native to our environment. There was also an interesting bright green fern that attracted me, so I took a closer look and it was a common sword fern, I think. It looked fully bloomed and was growing or grown with a tree closely behind it. I walked a little ways near my area and saw a flowering plant, it was starting to bloom, with green leaves and pink flowers, the branches or stalk had thorns so I thought maybe its a type of berry vs. a flowering plant. I was able to ID it as Salmon Berry.  I wish I could've ID more species or be able to see some birds and insects, maybe I'll move around a bit more to see what else I can find next week. Although it was a rainy day, the wooded areas of Lincoln park was alive, with the birds chirping in the trees and the plants growing all around. I can't wait to see how much will change over the course of this quarter at my location.

two of the western red cedars in my area

a plant that I wish to ID soon, there were a couple of these blooming

small spider that I happen to see climbing up a small branch

the base of the western hemlock, growing on top of an old tree stump

Found a douglas fir and a western red cedar happily accompany each other

I think this is the common sword fern that I was explaining or possibly a deer fern? 

The salmon berry, which attracted my attention with its pink flower.

Again, the salmon berry. Only one was bloomed so I got a little too excited when taking the picture (unfocused). 

No comments:

Post a Comment